Qualifying first authors of abstracts submitted to the Annual Meeting may apply for the Cynthia N. Rittenberg Award in Nursing Excellence. There will be an option to apply for this award when submitting abstracts online. By selecting this option, a series of application questions will be presented to be completed during the submission process.
Abstract submission and award application must be completed by the regular abstract submission deadline.
This award is open to MASCC members only.
To recognize excellent scientific achievement in the field of supportive care in cancer by an oncology nurse who is a MASCC member.
The Cynthia N. Rittenberg Award in Nursing Excellence recipient is selected from the top five (5) rated abstracts submitted by oncology nurses who are a MASCC member. The MASCC Awards Committee will select the abstract that demonstrates excellence in any aspect of supportive care in cancer submitted by an oncology nurse. This award is presented at the Annual Meeting.
The Cynthia N. Rittenberg Award in Nursing Excellence includes the following:
- Complimentary conference registration for the Annual Meeting,
- Two (2) nights’ accommodation for the Annual Meeting, and
- Reimbursement of travel expenses as per the MASCC Expense Reimbursement Policy for Annual Meetings (reimbursement will be provided after confirmation of the recipients’ attendance to the Annual Meeting and presentation of their abstract).
- The recipient will present their abstract as an Oral Proffered Paper at the Annual Meeting.
- The recipient will be invited to the Awards Reception to receive their award certificate.
- Applicants may be from any country.
- Applicants must be an oncology nurse.
- Applicants must submit an abstract as first author to the Annual Meeting and answer questions related to this award application for the regular abstract deadline. These questions include a description of how the applicant’s work (250 words maximum):
- Impacts oncology nursing supportive care
- Has implications for patients, survivors, and caregivers.
- Applicants must be a current MASCC member in good standing.
- Applicants must register for the Annual Meeting and must be able to present their abstract at the Annual Meeting. If an applicant is unable to be present at the Annual Meeting, then the award is forfeited.
- Applicants who have previously been awarded a Cynthia N. Rittenberg Award in Nursing Excellence (or the Cynthia N. Rittenberg Conference Scholarship) are not eligible.
- Applicants are not eligible for any other abstract-based awards for the given year.
- There will be an option to apply for the Cynthia N. Rittenberg Award in Nursing Excellence when submitting abstracts online. By selecting this option, a series of application questions will be presented to be completed.
- Abstracts including an application for the Cynthia N. Rittenberg Award in Nursing Excellence must be submitted by the “Regular” abstract deadline.
- Abstracts will be peer reviewed and scored.
- Abstracts will be ranked in descending order by mean score.
- The five (5) highest-ranked of eligible abstracts submitted by oncology nurses who are MASCC members in good standing will be selected.
- The selected highest-ranked abstracts will be reviewed by the MASCC Awards Committee and ad hoc reviewers (if needed). The abstracts will be judged based on (1) impact, (2) innovation, (3) research strategy, and (4) quality of writing.
- From among these reviewed abstracts, the first author of the highest-ranked abstract will be named the recipient of the Cynthia N. Rittenberg Award in Nursing Excellence. If the first author is unable to be present at the Annual Meeting, then the award is forfeited, and the first author of the next eligible highest-ranked abstract submitted by an oncology nurse will be named the award recipient.
- All applicants will be notified of the MASCC Awards Committee’s decision via email. The award recipient will receive the next steps for completing conference registration.
- The award recipient must be present at the Annual Meeting and present their abstract to receive a travel reimbursement.
- Award recipients may be asked by email to provide feedback after the Annual Meeting. Award recipients are required to respond within five (5) business days of such a request.