Qualifying first authors of abstracts submitted to the Annual Meeting may apply for the Steven M. Grunberg Memorial Award. There will be an option to apply for this award when submitting abstracts online. By selecting this option, a series of application questions will be presented to be completed during the submission process.
Abstract submission and award application must be completed by the regular abstract submission deadline.
This award is open to MASCC members only.
To recognize excellent scientific achievement in the field of supportive care in cancer by an individual MASCC member.
The Steven M. Grunberg Memorial Award recipient is selected from all submitted abstracts. It is reserved for the author of the highest-ranking abstract submitted to the Annual Meeting and rewards demonstrated excellence in any aspect of supportive care in cancer. This award is presented at the Annual Meeting and the recipient delivers the annual Steven M. Grunberg Lecture.
The recipient will be recognized at the Annual Meeting and in MASCC publications, as deemed appropriate. The recipient will deliver the Annual Steven Grunberg Lecture. The recipient will receive an invitation to the Awards Reception to receive their award certificate.
- Applicants may be from any country.
- Applicants may be from any profession.
- Applicants must submit an abstract as first author to the Annual Meeting and answer questions related to this award application for the regular abstract deadline.
- Applicants must be a current MASCC member in good standing.
- First authors of all abstracts submitted for the Annual Meeting and meet the criteria noted above are eligible, excluding any abstracts submitted for other abstract-based awards.
- The abstract must demonstrate excellent scientific achievement in one of the following areas:
- and/or clinical supportive care in cancer.
- Applicants are not eligible for any other abstract-based awards for the given year.
- Applicants who have previously been awarded the Steven M. Grunberg Memorial Award are not eligible.
- There will be an option to apply for the Steven M. Grunberg Award when submitting abstracts online. By selecting this option, a series of application questions will be presented to be completed.
- Abstracts including an application for the Steven M. Grunberg Award must be submitted by the “Regular” abstract deadline.
- Abstracts will be peer reviewed and scored.
- Abstracts will be ranked in descending order by mean score.
- The ten (10) highest-ranked abstracts submitted that meet the eligibility criteria will be selected
- The selected highest-ranked abstracts will be reviewed by the MASCC Awards Committee and ad hoc reviewers (if appropriate). The abstracts will be judged based on (1) impact, (2) innovation, (3) research strategy, and (4) quality of writing.
- From among these, the first author of the highest-ranked abstract will be named the recipient of the Steven M. Grunberg Memorial Award. If the first author is unable to be present at the Annual Meeting, then the award is forfeited and the first author of the next eligible highest-ranked abstract will be named the award recipient.
- All applicants will be notified of the MASCC Awards Committee’s decision via email. The award recipient will receive the next steps for completing conference registration.
- Award recipients may be asked by email to provide feedback after the Annual Meeting. Award recipients are required to respond within five (5) business days of such a request.